Thursday, April 1, 2010

Feeding Frenzy

In my last post, I expressed my concerns about juggling prospects – I currently have no less than four potential job leads that have progressed beyond the initial application stage. And in the days since Monday’s post nothing has happened to diminish the possibilities; if anything, things have progressed even further.

This afternoon I will have an in-person interview with two senior staff members at a medical industry foundation. This is the job titled “associate” with a director-level salary and responsibilities. I had a 15-minute phone interview on Monday that went well and they have invited me to meet in their Evanston offices this afternoon. For some reason, my level of anticipation is not as high for this interview as it has been mere hours before others…a fact that may be due to doubts about the job, my familiarity and comfort with the interview process (after being on so many) or simply due to the fact that I have other compelling prospects and don’t feel the level of desperation that I did a few short weeks ago. Oh well, I’m sure my preconceived notions will either be confirmed or eliminated before the end of the day.

I also got a call this morning, finally, from the Board Member at the community museum. She apologized for not calling Monday as promised; we are scheduled to meet tomorrow morning. I don’t have a feel for her, but I really enjoyed meeting the museum’s executive director and another Board colleague, so I am optimistic that tomorrow will be more of the same.

Next is the private school. Not only did I get a call today from the director asking me to come in for a second interview, but he (confidentially) told me how excited the entire Search Team was after my initial phone interview. Our in-person interview will be comprehensive, to say the least. I’m to meet a large group of staff, volunteers and Board Members over a two-day period – 9-3 on one day, 9-12 the next. While nine hours of face time may seem a bit daunting, I am incredibly impressed with the school’s thoroughness and commitment to finding a Development Director who can fit in with all its diverse constituencies and excel in all areas of job responsibility. The only catch is that these meetings won’t take place until April 19 and 20. But hey, I can be patient.

Finally, I’ve yet to hear back from the New York-based international agency, but I’m harboring no anxiety over that one. As I wrote, I could not have represented myself any better than I did in last week’s second interview. If I don’t get the job, it simply wasn’t meant to be. Damn…that’s a liberating feeling!

Of course, I know I should continue to apply to more jobs since I can’t assume any offers are impending…but the sun is shining, it’s 80 degrees outside and for the first time in a while, things are looking up. I’m definitely going to enjoy the ride.

1 comment: