Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Our Long National Nightmare is (Almost) Over

My fellow Americans, the past nine weeks have been trying ones. Natural disasters are striking at alarming rates. A team from Duke now calls itself the national champions. And, oh yeah, I’ve been unemployed. But one of those horrors is about to change.

Friends, this morning I received a job offer.

Who is my new employer, you ask? Well, that’s a good question…and one I cannot definitively answer. Here’s why:

The job I was offered is with the agency that canceled several interviews and later assigned me an insanely difficult task in preparation for my second interview. Apparently, I aced it! The recruiter called this morning to tell me the good news, as well as the job’s salary. She did not know, however, the other benefits and promised those would be sent to me within 48 hours (the executive director is out of the country on business).

So why am I not yet calling myself “employed?” It’s odd, because although I only spoke with them on the phone for an hour, in recent days the school has emerged as my preferred employer. That may change after my two-day interview scheduled for April 19 and 20, but I want to explore every possible opportunity before committing to one. Am I crazy?

My plan is to accept the job offer, assuming the salary and benefits packages are acceptable. I would ask to start on Monday, April 26 and then be liberated to attend the school interview one week earlier. If it’s still my top choice, I would sit down privately with the school’s chief administrator (and my prospective boss) to say this:

I can’t presume that I am your, or the Board’s, first choice to fill the Development Director vacancy. But I can tell you this – you are my first choice. Unfortunately, life doesn’t always give us our first choices and I have been offered a very enticing position with another agency. I don’t say this to pressure you into choosing me; I say it because of the circumstances I’m in. If I don’t hear from you by next Monday, I am going to start the new position…and I can’t imagine leaving the job after starting, even if you decide to extend me an offer.

What do you think, gang? Does that sound reasonable, professional and/or fair? Any and all recommendations for this potentially awkward conversation would be greatly appreciated. And, of course, I will continue to update the blog until I have made my final decision.

10 comments:

  1. I think that's a smart way to play it. Finding a new job is difficult but if you have the option of choosing rather than just taking what you get then I say go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a great approach. I made the mistake of not telling one prospective employer about the other and wound up taking the one that was my first choice. Meanwhile, the one I didn't keep updated called to offer me the job after I'd already started w/employer #1 and not only were they none to happy on the phone, I also received a SCATHING email from the dude who would have been my boss. Your approach is honest and clear and either way, at least you'll be employed soon!

    Congrats!!
    -Reva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to you! I think it all sounds like a great plan and yes! I agree about accepting the position and then interviewing elsewhere before your start date. You're not In until you walk in the door the first day.

    If possible, I would suggest pushing your start date to Mon. May 3rd. So if you have an excellent interview at the university, you don't have to say "oh, i'm starting somewhere else in 5 days so hire me and lets jam pack all the paperwork/negotiation into 5 minutes."

    It would finish out the months, give everyone a little more breathing room and give you a little more time to consider which option is best.

    Congratulations! 1 good offer and a kick ass interview on the way??? Great position to be in. Nice! -Adi-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell them that you would appreciate a decision by a certain date instead of telling them what will happen if you don't. Positive/Negative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATS on the offer! That's great news.

    As for my opinion on what you should do, it appears that I am in the minority...While I want to maximize your chances of getting the job you are most excited for, I cannot help but think of Job Offer #1 and how they might feel if in fact you prefer the school and receive a subsequent offer. If you accept Job Offer #1 only to tell them you changed your mind a day or two before you are scheduled to start, is that a.) fair to them as they will likely have notified other candidates that the position has been filled, and b.) burning a professional bridge that you may later on need to "cross" in some capacity?

    While I have in the past 2 years been in the role of "applicant" I was in the position of "employer" for the 10 prior and can't help but feel for the organization you may change your mind on.

    Is it possible to Job Offer #1 to hold on until after you interview at the school? At least then you will know whether you would even entertain an offer from the school. Perhaps this sounds idealistic or unrealistic, but I always like to see win-win situations whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATS on the offer! That's great news.

    As for my opinion on what you should do, it appears that I am in the minority...While I want to maximize your chances of getting the job you are most excited for, I cannot help but think of Job Offer #1 and how they might feel if in fact you prefer the school and receive a subsequent offer. If you accept Job Offer #1 only to tell them you changed your mind a day or two before you are scheduled to start, is that a.) fair to them as they will likely have notified other candidates that the position has been filled, and b.) burning a professional bridge that you may later on need to "cross" in some capacity?

    While I have in the past 2 years been in the role of "applicant" I was in the position of "employer" for the 10 prior and can't help but feel for the organization you may change your mind on.

    Is it possible to Job Offer #1 to hold on until after you interview at the school? At least then you will know whether you would even entertain an offer from the school. Perhaps this sounds idealistic or unrealistic, but I always like to see win-win situations whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for the duplicate. Operator error. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Matt. My advice is not to accept any position if you may change your mind. I'd just tell the employer that put an offer on the table that you'd prefer to finish out the interviews you already have scheduled and make your decision after that point. Tell them there's only one other and give them the date, so they know when you'll be ready to accept/decline. All that said, they may not want to wait for you, but I think it's always best to be forthright. An employer that can't give you 3 weeks to make a very important decision might not be an employer you want to work for anyway. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. A BIG congrats to you! Funny how the unemployment tide turns, isn't it? It's such a roller coaster, but when you get to this point it seems that all of the struggle was worth it.

    I agree with the comments above - being up front with them is the way to go. That way you can make it known but you still have your other option in the end.

    Way to go! Can't wait to hear what happens next...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let me see If I understand... Your going to interview for the first time for your dream job, and your going to tell them they have 7 days to shit or get off the pot?
    If you told them you've been laid off they'd be idots not to know that you have been activly interviewing. If they don't ask you that question in the 2 day interview, quietly mentionen it to them. Use words like "In the final rounds of Interviews eleswhere", or "Seams like I'm doing interviews everyday."
    My advice is.
    1. Do not give prospective employers Ultimatiums.
    2. Kick ass at the 2 day interview.
    3. Remember your a free agent. Who cares if start a new job and the dream job comes calling.

    ReplyDelete