Sunday, May 2, 2010

Transitions...the Final Chapter

Friends, I haven’t updated the blog in a while, but it’s not because I don’t care. I do…really. It’s just that, well, I couldn’t afford for there to be a public record of my thoughts and decisions over the last few weeks. If you’ve talked to me at all since early April and/or can read between the lines of my last few blog posts, I’m sure you understand.

That said, I'm writing today with great news. Beginning Monday, I will once again contribute to society instead of being a drain on it...that's right, I got a job! (Full disclosure: I retain my right to be an EMPLOYED drain upon society).

Next week I will start my work fundraising and marketing for Concern Worldwide -- a non-governmental, international, humanitarian organization dedicated to reduction of suffering and eliminating extreme poverty in some of the world’s poorest countries. Concern works primarily in the countries ranked in the bottom 40 of the United Nations Human Development Report, implementing emergency response programs as well as long-term development programs in the areas of livelihoods, health, HIV&AIDS, and education.

My job will be to grow Concern’s fundraising and brand awareness in the Chicagoland area. The agency is based internationally in Dublin, Ireland and has a US headquarters in New York; I will likely be traveling to those cosmopolitan locales, as well as some of the most impoverished communities in the world in order to better tell Concern’s story. It will be an immense responsibility with overwhelming implications…and I’m incredibly excited about getting started.

In the three months since I lost my job, many of you have reached out to lend your support and ideas, your friendship and love. I’m so grateful for all of you. Truly, deeply, immensely grateful. Thank you all…words can’t express how much your words and deeds have meant to me.

With that, I’ll leave you alone. Finally. If you want to know more about Concern or my role with the company, drop me a line and I'll do my best to share a story about which I only know a small piece.

And once more, to paraphrase the words of those immortal scholars Bartles and James, I thank you for your support.

1 comment:

  1. Great news, indeed! And for a fantastic organization. Wishing you a smooth transition back!

    ReplyDelete