Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Back to the Grind

Distance Traveled to Date: 3.10 Miles

A night of binge drinking behind me, I’m resolved to get back on track with my employment mission. But what a night of drinking it was…Uncle Pete, you would have been proud: wine, vodka and Chinese food is, as you told me frequently, a recipe for good times.

OK, I confess. I don’t have an Uncle Pete. But I do have a liver that aged two years in a few glorious hours last night, so cut me some slack.

I spent the better part of this afternoon researching job leads, hitting the usual suspects (Career Builder, Monster, Indeed), industry-specific sites (Association of Fundraising Professionals, npo.net) and even stumbling across some I had never heard of before (ParetoCentral.com anyone?). In all, I applied for ten new jobs – a fairly substantial accomplishment when you’re looking for work in this economy…but one that still seems like it should be a modest daily objective if you’re a member of the blissfully ignorant sect of the population I like to call “gainfully employed.”

So I was feeling pretty good about myself…and then I found it. A typo. On my resume. Good lord, is there anything I can’t screw up?

Sure it was just a misplaced apostrophe, but you would have thought that someone (myself, any of the friends or family who have looked it over, the career counselor I met last week, ANYONE) would have brought it to my attention. But alas, they didn’t. And my alleged professional communication skills are now reasonably doubted by any future employer. As if my talents weren’t disputable before…

The misplaced apostrophe has since been put in its proper location. Now I just have to find what’s left of my dignity from where it’s hiding…in a near-empty bottle of Ketel One.

2 comments: