Monday, March 8, 2010

I’ve Got Questions

Distance Traveled to Date: 3.10 Miles

When we last left off, I had teased two topics for my next post…and because I promised an explanation of said topics on Friday, you likely had a restless weekend imagining what bombshells I had in store for you. Or, you completely forgot about me and lived your life.

Nah…

Anyway, the agency I interviewed with on Thursday told me that they were meeting candidates all day (there was one more interview after mine scheduled for 4pm) and hoped to narrow the field to two or three finalists. The next round of interviews would be held in New York, involve select members of their Board of Directors and include a high-level skills test. A test? What does that mean?

No really…I want to know. What does that mean?

My second tease was about a lead I’ve cultivated for a job at an agency at which I had met a couple of key decision makers in the past. Last week, I saw a new job posting for this agency. Back in the Fall of 2007, I had lunch with the executive director and coffee (for two hours) with the chairman of the board. They didn’t hire me at the time, choosing instead to take on a more junior candidate at a much lower salary. There were no hard feelings, and so when I saw the new job (and it’s very attractive salary) I shot off an e-mail to the executive director informing her of my interest and plans to apply formally through their search firm.

Almost immediately, the executive director e-mailed me back, said she did remember me and asked if I was available to meet with her within the next few days! Ironically, later I received an e-mail from the search firm thanking me for my interest and promising to be in touch if my background and experiences matches the specifications of their client. Ha! So I’m having lunch tomorrow with the executive director…and I hope to hear about next steps for the New York job and a separate Chicago job later this week. How’s that for plate spinning?

Besides the questions about a “test,” I have one more query for you knowledgeable and fashionable readers: what does one wear to a meeting/interview at a downtown burger and beer lunch spot? Do I go full suit and tie, suit without a tie (aka the “Ahmadinejad”) or do I dare try something even more casual to better match the setting? Get fierce, friends; I need your advice to ensure there’s no wardrobe malfunction.

3 comments:

  1. tie...no shirt...make a statement

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo...Tough one. I'd say go slacks, hip but appropriate button-up long-sleeved shirt & a blazer or suit jacket that you can always take off if you feel it's too stuffy. If you want to be extra safe, throw a rolled-up tie in your pocket just in case. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kelly. Be prepared, but I think that going sans tie with a hip suit is totally appropriate. Knock 'em dead today!

    ReplyDelete