Monday, March 15, 2010

Could this be Good News or Did I Stumble Across the Wrong Blog?

Distance Traveled to Date: 3.10 Miles

Today’s post was meant to be titled “Back to Work” -- a tease for the seven hours of manual labor I did on Saturday helping the Future Missus execute an office event, and earning me $70 more than I had earned the previous six weeks. Then…something happened. More accurately, multiple things happened…but something good happened. In fact, TWO good somethings happened!

I should have asked if you were sitting down. Sorry for any coronaries caused and/or liquid spit out.

At the end of last week I was called by the director of a North Shore community museum. I had applied for their vacancy in the first week of February, but she told me they had just started interviewing candidates and asked me to come in Monday (today). From the job description, I inferred a large part of the role would be to launch a capital campaign, so I spent the weekend researching a type of fundraising I had read about but never directly managed.

Sure enough, the capital campaign questions came at me from all angles…and I was prepared for each and every one of them! I even prepared an answer for my nemesis question – “What would be the first thing you do on the job (to launch our capital campaign)?” And, if I may modestly say, I effing nailed it. Not just the question, but the entire interview. Maybe I’m getting better at these things the more interviews I’m on – or maybe it was just a desperation Hail Mary – but I was “on” like I’ve never been before.

Smug and satisfied, I treated myself to Chipotle on the way home. And while that was awesome, it was not the second good thing I teased above. No, the second good thing was a first: my first second interview!

That agency that rescheduled our interview several times? The executive director flying in from New York? The meeting, as explained above, in which I feared my answers were too general and not specific enough? They want to meet with me next week – an interview I think will be in New York!

So yeah, I’m pretty excited right now and struggling for the appropriate words to end this post. That’s why I’ll leave it to one of the masters; as William Butler Yates once simply wrote, “Today was a good day.”

Or was that Ice Cube? I always get them confused…

1 comment: