Monday, March 1, 2010

When it Rains, it Snows

Distance Traveled to Date: 3.10 Miles

When I last posted, I was pessimistic that a thrice-rescheduled job interview would actually take place on Friday. Guess what? It didn’t.

Another severe winter storm caused all flights out of New York to be canceled last Thursday evening and Friday morning, so the interviewer had to again postpone. I’ve been told that she is traveling to Seattle today and will fly from there to Chicago on Thursday, with our meeting now set for 2:30 Thursday afternoon. Which I suppose is a long-winded way of saying…my Pacific Northwest friends should expect to be inundated with bad weather and/or a natural disaster in a few days. Sorry, I don’t make the rules…that’s just how it is.

Today I met with a career counselor recommended by my future father-in-law, and despite my skepticism for her industry, I think I got some solid tips. I have updated my resume and LinkedIn page and have a better overall perspective on the inner dynamics of how applicants are sorted and ranked by Human Resources filters within large companies. Overall, it was as worthwhile a use of my time as anything I’ve done since Hands Across America. Or at least, since Fox reality Channel aired a marathon of the original “Paradise Hotel.”

In other news, tomorrow marks the one month anniversary of my inconvenient unemployment. In case you’re looking for a gift, the one month jobless milestone is known as the “cash anniversary;” feel free to send me money…or hire me. You know, whichever is more convenient for you.

I’ll try to devise a fun way to celebrate my depressing anniversary in tomorrow’s post, but your ideas are always appreciated as well. Have I mentioned that you can comment at the bottom of each post? Why are more of you not taking this glorious opportunity to have your words read by my tens and tens of loyal readers?

2 comments:

  1. I'll be sure to pass on the Pac NW weather advisory to the sis & bro. Sending lots of cash your way. (Where cash = happy thoughts)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I'm not commenting more. I'm reading it in my Google Reader so commenting requires an extra click. Yes, I'm that lazy! While I'm here though... good luck on Thursday! And feel free to share some of those career counselor tips with my hubby. I'll even let him out of the house for a golf date if that helps!

    ReplyDelete