Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Ahmadinejad (or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Lay a Bomb)

Distance Traveled to Date: 3.10 Miles

As if posting the words “Ahmadinejad” and “bomb” in the same line wasn’t enough to draw scrutiny from the Department of Homeland Security, I have bigger worries: I am still unemployed…and I’m fairly confident I won’t be getting the job for which I interviewed today.

Let’s back up a few steps. Yesterday I wrote about my lunch meeting and asked blog readership about the appropriate attire for a lunchtime job interview at a beer and burger joint. The response (both in blog comments and real life) was overwhelming: go with “The Ahmadinejad” – a nice suit without a tie. I’d love to blame your collectively poor wardrobe recommendation for not getting yet another job, but the truth is that it’s not you…it’s me.

Despite an online job description that seemed perfectly tailored to my fundraising expertise, I learned early in today’s conversation that the executive director was looking for a seasoned event and volunteer management professional to fill the vacancy. While I have some experience in this area, my experience falls far short of what is desired from their new hire. While the executive director didn’t go so far as to say that I’m eliminated as a candidate, she did attempt to gauge my interest for a more junior level position – a position (if my cyber-stalking is accurate) currently filled by 2008 college graduate. Ouch.

It’s not a total loss. I mean, I had great chemistry with the executive director and there’s no real harm in cultivating professional relationships. And, I may know a great person to fill the open position (even if it’s not me). It’s just that none of these silver linings is much consolation to me now. Jobless. Frustrated. Increasingly fearful that my unemployment status may carry on far longer than I had hoped.

Clearly, I’m not giving up…and unlike my post a few weeks ago, I’m not throwing myself a pity party. I still have two prospects for second interviews, as well as another dozen job leads to which I plan to apply. I will get to the top of this mountain…there just may be a long climb ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment