Friday, February 12, 2010

Day Ten: The Day I Stopped Counting

Distance Traveled: 0
Distance Traveled to Date: 2.03 miles


I’d like to think I’ll be able to retire this blog within a few weeks, when some poor, unsuspecting employer says, “Let’s take a chance on that Smith kid. I know his interview answers were week, but I like his style.” And yet, unemployment statistics suggest that this could be a lengthy ride…so I’m no longer keeping count of the days. After today.

We cool?

My better half called into work sick today with “Indian food indigestion,” which, I’m pretty sure is a diagnosis for which there is no known cure. Since she slept until 10, I spent the morning hours firing off resumes, eating Chinese leftovers (we’re very cross-cultural with our take-out) and NOT working out. Again. But it’s not my fault – the workout room is right next to the bedroom; it would have been cruel for me to wake up her sick ass with the grunts and wheezes that come from my fitness regime, right?

I was all set to start writing the “job description” I referred to in my last post, when my phone rang and a blocked number showed up on the caller ID. Who was it, you ask? It was a recruiter…doing a phone interview for a position to which I had applied on Monday! We spoke for about 15 minutes and I literally charmed her pants off (yes, literally. I heard her unzip). She called back a few hour later to tell me the Executive Director was flying in from New York on Wednesday and I was one of a few select candidates to “make the cut” for a formal interview!

(I will, of course, share details of the interview process. But for the sake of my prospective future employer’s privacy – and my superstition – I’m going to be vague about details until there is a definite resolution. I’m sure you understand.)

Clearly, there is still a way to go…but it’s comforting to know that my resume resonated and that my employment search may not (necessarily) be a quixotic quest. And of course, I still have to write that job description…and apply to more open positions…and, yes, get my fat ass in shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment