Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Day Two: Technical Difficulties

Distance Traveled: 0.91 miles

I think there’s something wrong with my elliptical.

I mean, is it even possible to burn 635 calories in 27 minutes and ONLY go 0.91 miles? I was hauling ass and sweating balls, yet I didn’t even travel a theoretical mile?

Anyway, if the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step, at least I can be comfortable in the knowledge that I took several thousand steps today. Of course, those steps didn’t even carry me one full mile, so there’s a long road ahead of me.

Today I replied to the dozens of e-mails I’ve received in the past 24 hours. I’m truly blown away by how supportive my friends (and acquaintances) have been…even though none offered to lend me money…or hire me. I guess no one is perfect.

I also made arrangements to return to my old office and collect my personal affects and any office supplies that aren’t nailed down (what’s the re-sale value for Bic pens and half-used White-Out?). That’s going to be a fun trip – lots of half-fake tears masking ex-colleagues’ relief that their jobs are still safe. Good times.

Until then, the (figurative and literal) many-mile-mission continues…


3 comments:

  1. I'm hoping that it's only a few blocks until you work, not miles. I love you and love reading your memoirs. Will you finally write me that poem I've been asking for the past 2 years?

    Your devoted wifey,
    Mars

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your elliptical lies! But maybe it is just trying to make you feel better like the rest of us hope to!

    I talk to Mars a lot, but if you ever want to chat Development work/Nonprofit or job search in general (since i just did it the past year...twice) I can try to be of assistance. Unfortunately, the place to be for that is DC, and even here people are struggling. Mars has my number. :) Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your elliptical is definitely wrong - I was on one for 35 minutes last night and only burned about 350 calories but traveled 2.7 miles. I think you might want to call support on that...
    My friend Jen here at the AMA says she's seeing development jobs everywhere - I told her to forward things on to Marni for you!

    ReplyDelete