Friday, February 5, 2010

Day Three: The Scene of the Crime

Distance Traveled: 0.91 miles

In Genesis, it’s said that God rested on the seventh day. Well, since I aspire to be nearly half as awesome as Him, I rested on Day Three. No elliptical workout for me, although I did push my body to its limits in another challenging way.

Day Three was the day I had been scheduled to return to my office and pick up my personal effects. It’s embarrassing enough being sent home on a Tuesday, suddenly jobless, and having to walk past dozens of now-former coworkers on one’s way to the elevator…but to voluntarily walk back into that office and be forced into human interactions? Ugh. This wasn’t going to be fun.

I stepped off the elevator and immediately noticed all the uncomfortable eyes suddenly fixated on distant objects and silent phones picked up in a panic. Good times.

After spending some time with my former assistant (helping her fix a mistake she made while trying to do my work, natch), I collected all my personal items in one box. Depressing, isn’t it? You can sit in an office for 4+ years and the only things of personal value can be carried off with minimal effort?

A few folks came by to offer me luck and say their goodbyes, but there were entirely too few tears shed on my behalf. Maybe if I wasn’t such a douche, people would have responded with more emotion? Maybe if I wasn’t such a douche, I’d still have a job. Nah…I can’t afford to get caught up in this game.

It’s back on the elliptical tomorrow, as well as sending out my first batch of resumes. Oh, and I’m selling legal pads out of the trunk of my car. Let me know if you need any.

No comments:

Post a Comment